August 27, 2010
Question of the day #2 – embryo donation/embryo adoption?
As you may have noticed, my method of regaining hope this cycle is by conducting a lot of research. I’ve rejoined the online bulletin boards that helped me so much during the beginning of our IF journey…although now I’m part of the group called “IVF veterans.” 😦 I’m also relying on some of my lurkers (yes, I’m talking to you!) and other fellow bloggers to contribute some new ideas and insight. 😉
In the course of some research focused on adoption (which deserves its own post – or ten), I came across some comments about embryo adoption. Long story short, this consists of “adopting” the frozen embryos from a couple who has decided that their family is complete. For some reason, I completely forgot about this as an option, but now I can’t stop thinking about it and feeling like it might be the perfect solution.
– I would not have to go through the physically challenging part of another IVF cycle.
– The embryo would not have biological material from either of us (which is important to us – we’re an all or nothing kind of couple 😉 )
– I would still get to experience pregnancy, labor, and delivery (and yes I know that I might regret that later ;-), but shouldn’t I have the chance to admit that I was wrong?)
– I would still have the opportunity to breastfeed (obviously, this doesn’t work for every mommy/baby, but again, I’d like the chance to try)
– There would be less “explaining” to do with strangers/acquaintances
– Embryo adoption does not guarantee a pregnancy and healthy baby. There could be a reason why I’ve never been able to get pregnant and it might not only be because of the meds and resultant egg quality.
– Costs are unknown. We don’t know how much, if any, of an “adoptive” cycle our insurance would cover.
– Various other adoption-specific concerns…
Anyways, we definitely have a lot of research and soul-searching to do (I completely sprang this on S when he came home today and it was NOT the right timing 😉 )…but I wanted to ask anyone who has experienced embryo donation or embryo adoption to please share your experiences (good and bad).